Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Weekend

this past weekend I was staffing an ACTS retreat (a retreat program founded by my pastor, that now is in several states, and many parishes)... the retreat was really nice, quite a bit different from NET retreats I used to staff, quite a bit more lax, but appropriate for the age group. one part is focused on a meal, and it was really nice, it reminded me of how heaven is sometimes described as a banquet... and for the first time, with all the laughing, good humor, and brotherhood, I could finally relate to Heaven that way... it's not the food... but the community.

The rest of it was pretty standard, your basic spiritual attacks, your amazing breakthroughs, everything you expect where the Spirit dwells anew.

A few odd things happend... most of which were several other men telling me I had qualities I haven't really noticed... or didn't think others appreciated/noticed....

and several men who have daughters in the Youth group told me how their youth love it... so much so that one skipped Homecomming just to be at youth group... !!

I always wonder how well I do youth group, and always think someone else could do much better... and always wanting to quit... but on the occaisions that others tell me how their youth love it, I get strengthened...

And considering how hard it is to be a youth minister, with all the spiritual and personal attacks, I can't even imagine how hard it is to be a priest/pastor or even a deacon... so I make the recommendation to everyone reading... PRAY FOR YOUR PASTORS, TELL THEM HOW GREAT A JOB THEY ARE DOING, AND BE OBEDIENT TO THEIR PROPER AUTHORITY!

2 comments:

Penitens said...

Very good idea for everyone to pray for their pastors (and also bishops) -- especially when they don't like them.

As for the attacks, I am reminded of this speech from "A Man for All Seasons"

If we lived in a state where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all . . . why then perhaps we must stand fast a little--even at the risk of being heroesKeep up the good work... and do more - as God leads you.

Kathleen said...

You do a wonderful job leading youth group, love. I know how frustrating it is for you at times. I will pray for you and your group. God bless you!