Sunday, January 30, 2005

Philosophers...

This is an exerpt from a comment paper on value theories:
-----
Initially I was going to say that it seems that philosophers could solve the issue of value very easily... with the premis that a Christian God exists. It seems to me a bit egotistical of philosophers to refuse to address such an issue... Tending to want to simplify the system, philosophers reject the premis on the assumption that 1. God does exist, and we cant know, or 2. God doesn't exist, and thus why complicate the system with the premis of a God? But this decision seems to bite the philosophers in the rear, leading to a tonne of other complications... i.e., value outside of Humanity's perception, Justice and other universals... it seems to me more evident each time I read the book that the premis of a God is much more elegant and seemingly more sensible... as it seems that philosophers like O'Neill are trying to clarify things so much so that things get even more confusing.
-----

I'm coming to a greater appreciation of how knowing a God exists unifies so much knowledge, and without a God, how much more difficult it is to know anything... it reminds me of Zeno's paradox about the Runner... (the runner to get to the end must first be able to get to the half point, but to get the half point, he must get to the half of the half point... eventually saying that for the runner to reach the end he mus cross an infinite amount of points, but that's impossible and thus running{or moving} is impossible.) The way I see it is the divisions are different knowledges... if you try to build a whole (reach the end) from all the divisions, it's not possible, because you have an infinite distance to cover... but say you have already reached the end of the distance, by not worrying about the divisions, just about the Goal (God). Once you've gotten to the Goal, you can look back and divide your path however you choose, and it will make sense, as to how it got you to your Goal.

I don't know if the analogy is well formed, but I'm typing fast, as It's dinner time... and I've got to go eat. I'll try to clear it up later.

No comments: