Wednesday, February 16, 2005

metaphysics

Today in class we finally got to the theodicy section... our teacher told the story of invisible people in iceland (he's from iceland), and asked what makes Christian's story about God any better?

and... well...

Faith...
What is faith but belief in nothing?
Okay,
Miracles?
What are miracles, if they break natural laws, they can't occur... unless you're delusional?
(those were arguments in my head, and this was the basic jist of a conversation between the teacher and another atheist)
Experience?
What ground is that to convince others?

So I've been thinking... what is it that makes belief in God so rational to believers?
Though I still think experience is the most important thing... but how do you speak of miracles in ways others can understand? How can you speak of the Eucharist and it's power so that even a protestant doesn't think you're crazy? How can you speak of God's grace and love, and not be laughed out of class? And then how can you do it and salvage an A in the class?

I know at some point my teacher will point me out... and confront my belief... what do I say?

while walking back to my dorm, in the cold and silent street, I was thinking... and wondering... and I think the answer came...

Hope...
I don't know what else... just Hope...

Faith hope and love? no just Hope...

I think Hope is what divides those who have faith and those who dont... those who love for their own sake and those who love for things bigger than themselves... Hope... Hope seems to be what Christ brought us at the cross... hope...

Is it a good argument... NO... can I make a good argument? to open hearts... yes... to others... the judgment has been made, and no change will occur now... but perhaps, God will plant the seed of their own undoing, of their opening...

I don't know, but if anyone has ideas... I'm all ears.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

"perhaps, God will plant the seed of their own undoing, of their opening."

I am sure he will.