Thursday, March 30, 2006

Embarrassing

I just had a very humbling experience.

We just had a workshop in my Creative Nonfiction class

Where we all had anonymously written book proposals

We voted for the top 3 and mine came in fourth, by one vote.

#4 had 6 votes #3 had 7 #2 had 7 and # 1 had 12 (out of a max of 16)

After voting our pieces were still anonymous and everyone was trying to figure out whose was whose?

Everyone kept saying that #1 (about harvesting your crops and writing a diary and cook book) must be mine, because it was so well written and “really good”.

It wasn’t and mine was in my view a distant distant fourth to the writing.

I didn’t even follow the directions correctly and I came in fourth… even if I had followed correctly, I still would’ve paled to the Harvest.

It’s humbling for others to think you so great that you wrote something so good.

And more humbling to know you could never.

3 comments:

Tim Malone said...

Embarrassing? How about reality. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. Humility will flow always from this yes, but only if we look at it that ways and let it rest in our souls.

sirhair said...

not winning had nothing to do with the embarrassing and humility... it was how other see me that was humbling, when I don't see the same.

Adrienne said...

Isn't it wonderful when God puts us in our place, but makes sure that we know He loves us, and He will provide the "breaks" we need to do His work?

He has given you great talents and the opportunity to recognize other people's talents.