Tuesday, July 24, 2007

New Beginnings.

(written yesterday, posted today... you get the idea)
So I've come to the point where I've decided to move on. I've taken down the paintings in my studio, and decided to start anew. I don't know what about them was causing me to stagnate, nor do I know if I'll ever revisit them. But I've decided that it's time to start afresh. To seek that elemental vision that joins all humans in a mutual appreciation of beauty.

I went with Michelle to a ballet on her birthday, and during the ballet I began to probe what Art is. And essentially I've come to the conclusion that it's VISUAL COMMUNICATION. Art can be a compilation of Impressive visuals that move a person to say wow that's enjoyable to look at. Or art can be communication, conveying emotion and thought. But Art needs to aspire to being both at one time. If it fails in visuals, it fails to reach potential, if it fails to communicate, it fails to reach its potential, only when it both creates appealing visuals and conveys something greater, can it be called good art. If it does one to the neglect of the other, it is simply an aspirant whimper that ultimately fails.

Art can also be transparent or opaque in communication, being obvious to the vast majority, to being only understood by each individual viewer. And good art reaches the masses and touches each individual uniquely. And good art is that art which upon cursory and subsequently more in depth examinations touches the viewer and communicates a greatness beyond simple words and images.

Now the question for me and all artists is how do we communicate what we want to communicate?
(le fin)

These are the paintings as they've evolved...




There's more that I want to post but the web is not cooperating with my uploads.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, Chloe and I were reading your blog and we noticed a picture of a cat...Chloe seems to think the picture is of her and she has suddenly begun to refer to you as her favorite uncle. :) Unfortunately, Crystal's feelings are now hurt and she's not too fond of you right now. Please tell Michelle I said "Happy Belated Birthday."