Wednesday, August 23, 2006

NYC... well not quite

So I still haven't seen NYC, though I've been in it... or perhaps more precisely put, under it... I took a train from Newark (NJ) to New Haven (CT) and stopped briefly in Penn Station (NYC).

Unfortunately it cost a bit more than I expected (because I had to take amtrak instead of Metro north, and because I had to take business class instead of normal class). But I did get a free NYTimes and two free drinks. When I arrived in New Haven, I was still a bit far from Clinton, where I needed to meet up with Annie, so I asked the amtrak peeps how close they could get me (a taxi was 55$)... they said about 10 miles, and I'd have to wait 4 hours... but suggested I try the Greyhound... so I went to the greyhound and the guy put me on a bus to middletown, claiming that it was closer. I asked how close, but he didn't rightly know, and he also didn't rightly know where the heck it was.

A brief Geography interlude. New Haven and Clinton are both on the Shore of CT. And now back to the story.

While riding the bus I noticed that I hadn't seen any ocean yet, and that from the maps I've seen I should be able to at least occaisionally see ocean from the highway... then it hit me.

why would you name a place Middletown?

At that point I suspected correctly it was in the middle of the state... and instead of getting closer, I at best would be keeping my distance, but changing my direction from Clinton.

well I get to clinton and carry my pack and roll my suitcase to the police station and ask how far clinton is, hoping that they would say 10 minutes walk... His first response was promising "How are you getting there?"
"I haven't decided yet"
"By walk it's about... " (hope was in my ears at this) "4-6 hours" (correct the hope, insert disappointment) "by car about 25 minutes"

So I ended up calling Annie and begging a ride (the taxi was 57.50 from Middletown). And three-four hours later (she was in the middle of youth group) my valiant friend walks up the church steps where I'm reading and with a shocked smile (she hadn't seen me without long hair-- ever) welcomed me to the Nor-east.

So that's where I'm at. Most of my recent story is a bit boring and bland, involving sleep, dinner, scrabble, amazing weather, and prayer, so I'll not pain you with it.

God Bless!

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

NYC is crazy at best. But you'll love it because I know that you will look for the best in the situation.

It's breaking my heart to be back in DC. My heart is in Europe. Why can't I live there now? Ah, God has other plans. Please lead me on.