Saturday, July 01, 2006

Lady Poverty


So I've been trying to reduce my clothing to two days worth, as a chosen poverty. So far I've only had a few issues... mostly concerning figuring out that I have to wash clothes every day. Which I now do in the shower every night. Its a bit freeing to have only two sets of clothes... but also a bit embarrassing at times, especially as I've chosen "poor peoples" clothes as my two sets (longhies and kurtas).

Though I still have several other luxuries. I have an mp3 player that I'd hate to part with, but could... I love that it brings me quickly into prayer... the music I have on it is exclusively Christian, which has been the staple of my auditory diet for years now. I also have a camera and voice recorder... both of which are for class, sponsor and personal use so I don't feel too guilty about them. Other than that, I carry two notebooks (a journal and a note taking notebook), my epipens, my inhalers, keys, watch(which I could really do without and would not mind losing), two pens, a liter of water, a devotional book to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, a carabiner, a rosary, a rubber band (from take-away dinner last night), antibiotics (ciprofloxacin, I take one daily now...), a book I'm finishing reading on padre pio and a change purse with 282 rps and a reciept from my midmorning snack for 14 rps.

I also make use of a sheet, blanket, Shorter Christian Prayer book (divine office/liturgy of the hours), and contacts everyday.

So yes, I'm still living in mostly luxury, but right now I feel more called to embrace my health than to have even less...

I plan on sending a package back home soon with the majority of stuff I brought (minus all the med supplies). And maybe I'll finally send the package I've been meaning to send for over a month now...

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

so you're finally wearing kurtas and lungies! that's pretty cool!