Friday, September 24, 2004

Pain Pain Go away... TREE! ouch.

So I went off road biking today with dan.. and now I'm in a bit of pain... I tried using clipless pedals again... the last time, I got fustrated and hit so many things that I decided to switch back to normal pedals off road... and I used my clipless on my road bike... well the other night I successfully cliped out (as a reaction, as opposed to having to think about it) when I was about to fall over, when I was in 1 foot high water that I decided to try them off road... well the problem I had this time, was not the clipping out, but the clipping in... I used my half clipless/half platform pedals... and that was the dangerous part as I discovered off road... (it was sort of funny because I began to relate it to my faith walk).... because I didn't commit to full clipless pedals, the half platform pedals not only frustrated my efforts, but actually caused me various wounds and crashes... The problem was the platform side had teeth that got in the way of my shoes clipping in... causing me to have to focus on clipping in and causing me to take alot of time to clip in.... I guess its like Revelations when God says to be either hot or cold... the danger to me was not being attached to my bike, but not being able to be attached to my bike... and once I had one spill, and the frustration and stress form that, I hit several trees after that because I was second guessing myself, and I couldn't get up to speed because it took so much time to get clipped back in...
So next time I go out, I'm either going to use full clipless or full platform... nothing in the middle...

Anyhow... so aside from the gashes in my shin and a few cuts on the front and back of my ankle, I'm good... oh and I got rope burn from a weed that was litterally ten feet tall... it had fallen halfway over into the middle of the path and it's head got bent around my arm and caught between my arm and my body... causing it to give me a rope burn as It pulled back around... we also ran into some guys getting drunk on the trail... I could smell the alcohol as I rode up the hill by them... Praise God for frustration, reminding us that even our best efforts can be defeated by the simplest of things... and only with God can we do anything lasting, of worth, and perfect.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

OH BABY! I'm sorry that you got hurt! I am glad that you are ok! I love the way you can turn things around into the positive. :) You're amazing!

Kathleen said...

P.S. I love your drawing! Yay for Jesus!

Adrienne said...

Clipless, not clipless, then you get clipped...I'm lost. Too many "clip" words. lol

But the getting gashes and rope burn isn't so great. Hope you can walk okay...and your right, it's all good with God. Even rope burn!

sirhair said...

Clipless... is actually in my opinion not actualy clipless only relatively clipless... compared to the older types of bike shoes/cleat/pedal combination, there is different mechanism, with the new mechanism much smaller and "hands free"...

no one ever said bicyclists were Engilsh majors. ;-)