Wednesday, November 30, 2005

At once they left their nets and followed him. Mt 4:20

What nets have I left lately?
I'm not sure, but I know I have so many more to drop.
So many obstacles that I've yet to give up.

John of the Cross talks about all desires as stumbling blocks, especially the desire for prayer and holy things. They grab you and entice you in ways that other much emptier things can't. In the end, these Idols tear you from the very thing you wish to attain, the prescence of God.

Yet they are Amazing things, though its not IN themselves that they have worth, it is through and FOR God that they do.

I've left some of my nets lately and I feel so much freer, to have burdens from my shoulders I thought I could never bear. I can't wait to get rid of the other nets, whose burdens must be so much greater, as they are so much more enticing... how much more freedom the Father has waiting!

"He set me free in the open; he rescued me because he loves me." Psalm 18:20
"O LORD, our Lord, how awesome is your name through all the earth!" Psalm 8:10

No comments: