Friday, November 25, 2005

NEW KIND OF PAIN


I wrote this friday morning after I had biked to adoration around 130 am and had just got back. (explanation of the earlier writting is in brackets '[]')

713am

if I ever get asked the question of how I would rather die (burn or freeze) I'm now offically changing my answer to burn... it took me over 1hr to go what normally takes 12 mins on a bike [I just got back]... had to stop off twice, tried a third time couldnt [because my hands were so frozen I couldn't tell if I was grasping my brakes or not... I simply couldn't feel them, the brakes or my hands]... then had the sensation for the first time in my life of having completely immobile fingers... really really sucked... thank God for knuckles [because I was only able to get into my building because of my teeth and the knuckles of my right hand... my left hand was unable to grasp at all by that point]...
so My bike is getting put up and I'm now hating Iowa's weather much much more...
so I just worked out how cold it was on my bike... figuring about 15mph (at times with a wind of 9mph hitting me) and less than 20 degrees outside... I was experiencing at a high [of] 6 degree weather... and most of the time about 2 degrees due to the wind! http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill/index.shtml NO WONDER WHY IT HURT SO MUCH!!
716

I still haven't recovered full sensation in the tips of my fingers (they tingle), but they are getting gradually better. I had to take off my gloves with my teeth...

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

would it help if you wore gloves with fingers and pants instead of shorts?

sirhair said...

it could help... but there are more issues with the cold than that. My sinuses were in extreme pain... almost as bad as when I descend on an air plane and thousands of needles rip into my head.