Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Credo, sed adiuva increduliatem meam (I do believe; help my unbelief) Mk 9:24


21 Then he questioned his father, "How long has this been happening to him?" He replied, "Since childhood.
22 It has often thrown him into fire and into water to kill him. But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us."
23 Jesus said to him, " 'If you can!' Everything is possible to one who has faith."
24 Then the boy's father cried out, "I do believe, help my unbelief!"

I'm amazed by this passage... desperation and asking God "if you can"... a man powerless to help his son, comes to a preacher who he's heard about... and gives it one more shot... not knowingly asking GOD if He can do something. A divided soul, split by belief and unbelief.

I feel like this so often, believing and yet unbelieving... knowing that God exists, and thinking Him powerless. I'm divided, and I crave to be whole.

Lord, you promised to give us power (acts 1), pour it out upon me and help my unbelief. Heal me of this unbelief which has thrown me into fire and water trying to kill me, have compassion on me, and cure me Divine Physician.

No comments: