Saturday, January 13, 2007

Day nineteen-- Still Lille :-)

Day nineteen
1/12/07
1222pm
I don't think I've ever had my laundry folded so nicely... It was fantastic!

I went to a mass held in a retired french priest's room, which was pretty cool... Slowly very slowly picking up french.

I don't know everything that's happening in me right now, but I suspect quite a bit is. Who really knows?

{--}

Last night I went to confession with a french priest who knew a bit less french than I knew of English... Interesting to have confession with a dictionary and spending thirty minutes trying to convey the gist of one thought... Good thing that the priest doesn't really need to hear everything to know that God does. And a better thing that God can read hearts.
{--}
1231pm
Perhaps the smallest chapel I know... and now surrounded by an intersection... I think it was the chapel of great remedy or good health or something akin to curing disease. I unintentionally but luckily dragged out Dorothy for a little escapade through Mauvaux to check out the three churches.

C'est moi et mon ami, Theophile.

Theo is an incredible guy... very very patient with my constant questions of "how do you say that in french?" And his sybling's constant questions of "how do you say that in english?"


(I have no idea how we both ended up smiling goofily and looking in the same direction... there was only one camera in the room and you're looking at it's picture)

Dorothy, his sister, was one of the best ways for me to learn english, as she has about the same level of English as I have of French, causing us to not revert to one language or the other, but having to constantly try to figure out what each other was saying.

Dorothy was also amazingly patient... for example... when we were walking around Mauvaux (the city that was incorporated into Lille, that they live in) I decided to say I was a idiot, so I said "J'ai une idiote" and I contentedly said it several times...
But if you translate "J'ai une idiote" it turns out to not be "I am an idiot" but that "I have a (female) idiot"... Poor girl having to put up with an American idiot. The correct way of saying what I wanted is "Je suis un idiot".

Hetti came out and decided to play with the family.

And she had lots of fun :-)


So much that she had to be put to sleep early.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tu es un idiot :) joking!