Saturday, January 13, 2007

Day Twenty! The Lille encore!

Day twenty ?
1/13/07
616pm
I just ran into a friend from kolkata as we were walking through lille... Incredible! I'm in a foreign country and a person I knew for only two weeks remembered me as we passed each other on the sidewalk (I had thought her familiar, but didn't give it a second thought). Incroyable!

Earlier today I bought a new coat, most likely to the great satisfaction of my new york friends and those others who knew of my seemingly never-ending quest. I also managed to pick up a sleeping bag that I've needed for awhile.

Tomorrow I head to the alps near Geneva to visit a friend on my way to Lourdes.

Sometimes I think of how fortunate I am to have friends and the chance to travel le monde,
627
That all I can do is smile.
631
Today was Laure's Third Birthday!!! Isn't she absolutely adorable!

After lunch we went shopping (I for a coat and a sleeping bag, as the coat is probably going to be life saving in the Alpes I finally broke down)... and during shopping we made an excursion to the Cathedral... which I actually quite liked.

It was originally built in a Gothic style but they ran out of money at the turn of the century causing them to come up with a creative way to finish the building... they decided to use some modern architecture.

(photo courtesy of Theo)
and it turned out quite nicely. I really liked the inside as it was the first church that was hinting at the type of architecture I want to build... a living dynamic between the past and the ongoing present, and both of their hopes for the future. Think of it this way, the Church is both it's history and it's present... "ever ancient, ever new" as I think Augustine put it... it's living, never shedding it's whole body, just it's skin.


After we returned the girls taught me a new game of cards... Roi Noir (black king)... it was quite fun. :-) and it was a good time to try to pick up a little bit of French while enjoying the lively company of the younger part of the family.

I love this family! :-)

Tomorrow (actually today now) I head for Megeve near Geneve (Geneva)... and I won't have computer access for another few days... :-\ possibly the next week... depends on Lourdes. But know I'm thinking of you all and praying for you.

No comments: